IT Support Specialist / Help Desk
- Full-time: $29k - $50k annually
- Benefits: 401K, Dental, Medical, Vision, Life Insurance
- Generous reimbursement for training and applicable education
What You'll Do
As an IT Support Specialist at Accent, you’ll be on the front line responding to client requests for assistance by phone and email. No two days will be exactly the same as you help people at multiple client companies resolve technology issues that are slowing or stopping their work. One call might be helping someone who forgot their password, and the next one might be because the entire company went down. Whatever it is, you’ll quickly evaluate the situation, troubleshoot a solution, and call in reinforcements as needed.
Who You'll Work With
You’ll be on our Alpha Team that’s made up of IT engineers of various experience levels. You can expect a lot of back-and-forth communication between the team throughout the day. There will always be someone to help you through a situation that you’ve never seen before, and you’ll jump in to help others when you can.
In weekly meetings, Alpha Team debriefs on tough issues that were encountered throughout the week so that everyone can learn from the experience. Meetings often include training sessions to stay up to date with evolving technology.
When it looks like the issue you’ve got on your plate is more complex than a 15-minute fix, you’ll escalate it to the Elite Team, the next layer in Accent client support.
You’ll talk with individuals at client companies all day long as you help them get unstuck from whatever issue is holding them back.
Jason B, Alpha Team Service Manager
with Accent since 2019
What Your Learning Curve Looks Like
The first thing you’ll do will be to learn our systems and get a good understanding of how we deliver IT services to clients. Then you’ll get familiar with our technology tools and core processes. An important part of understanding how Accent operates will be to learn how everyone works together.
A big part of your training will be to learn how our ticketing process works so that it becomes second nature. You’ll shadow Alpha Team engineers to see how they function and get a good feel for the workflow.
Before you start taking live calls, you’ll do some mock calls in order to practice with the ticketing system and get a feel for the kinds of questions you should ask to determine the nature of the caller’s issue.
When you start answering client calls, you’ll have someone beside you to provide guidance as needed. Soon you’ll be ready to go it alone, knowing that you’ll always have the backing of the entire team.
What Success Looks Like
Accent is known for fast, friendly, frustration-free support. This plays out in the Support Specialist role with a 15-minute window for response and a positive experience for the client. Asking good questions is the key to getting the information you need to get to the root of the problem faster. Clients will appreciate how patient you are with them, especially when their frustration gets the best of them.
At the end of each day, you’ll feel the satisfaction that comes from knowing that you made a difference to the handful of people that you helped. You’ll gain confidence and job satisfaction from facing a variety of issues that will give you lots of opportunity to flex and build your technical skills.
Who’s Perfect For This Role?
This role is for you if…
People who do well as Support Specialists are eager to learn and embrace new situations that help them grow their skills. They get a kick out of solving a problem that they’ve never solved before.
You don’t need tons of IT experience, but you do need to be a problem-solver and have a heart to help people. Your calm demeanor will allow you and the client on the phone get to a quick solution because, let’s face it, people usually aren’t happy when they call support.
This role is NOT for you if…
The Alpha Team runs at a fast pace and variety is the name of the game, so if you’re looking for a job where you know what to expect each day, then this is probably not a good fit for you.
Where You Can Go From Here
You can build your career as you gain experience and expertise, becoming a solid mainstay of the Alpha Team or moving to other roles. The Alpha Team can be your front door to just about any other position that you might aspire to at Accent. For many people the Elite Team is their next step, but others have moved to the Project or Customer Success Teams.
Whatever direction you decide to go, you’ll be supported with applicable training and opportunities to stretch your wings.
Are You Qualified?
Education and Soft Skills:
- Microsoft Technology Associate
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional analytic and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to work successfully with an integrated support team
- 2+ years supporting Microsoft Windows XP, 7, 8, 10
- 2+ years experience supporting Microsoft Office 2010 - 2016
- 2+ years experience supporting Spyware and Antivirus software
- 1+ years experience supporting Apple Macintosh computers preferred
- 2+ years experience upgrading and repairing desktop and/or laptop computers.
- Maintains knowledge required to perform the Alpha Support Specialist position.
- Works effectively with other members of the organization to troubleshoot client issues.
- Participates in developing procedures and suggesting improvements to existing procedures.
- Participates in weekly team meetings.
- Acts as an advocate for clients within the organization.
- Effectively escalates client issues and follows up to make sure that the client is satisfied.
- Documents all contact with the client in the trouble-ticketing application. Updates all information within the client knowledge base as appropriate.
It’s the camaraderie. It’s the accessibility. It’s looking out for each other. It’s the concern for your personal life... All of that makes this a business where I can thrive.
We're not currently hiring for this position, but let's stay in touch 👇
Join our Talent Network to stay in touch. You'll get a monthly email with an inside look at what it’s like to work at Accent, and you'll be the first the learn about new opportunities.